Built in 1923, Vila Real de Santo Antonio Lighthouse, Isla Canela replaced the earlier Farolinho de ferro which translates to Little Iron Lighthouse.
There were many years of discussion about the method of construction, since it is located in a sandy location. The circular tower stands 40 metres high and rests on foundations of reinforced concrete. Initially the light beam installed there was obtained by incandescence of petroleum vapor and had a range of 33 M. but by 1927 the lighthouse had been electrified using generator engines and was connected to the public grid in 1947.
A lift up to the tower was installed in 1960 and in 1989 the lighthouse was fully automated, although lighthouse keepers are still required today to ensure it functions properly.